Friday, October 16, 2009

Long Beans/Valli payar Roast

Long beans aka String beans aka Vallipayaru aka Achinga payaru aka Pacha payaru (....aka snake beans ??? :P not making my own.. I know only these much alliases ) . Let me know if it is being known by some other name. I have also seen this in two different colors-dark green and light green. What ever you call, here I am naming it as Valli Payaru.

Here onwards if I say Valli Payar then assume it as that thing which came into your mind from the picture!

I was tired of making 'Thoran'(veg in shredded coconut)with valli payaru and was thinking of what other dish I can make with this long lengthy beans. Suddenly the taste of vallipayar roast prepared by my momy flooded my mouth :D I rushed into my kitchen to confirm that the required ingredients are there. Oh Yes! Hey, You too check out the following ingredients:

Ingredients (Servings - 2)

1. Valli payar - cut in 1" length - 1 cup
2. Big onion - finely chopped - 1/2 cup
3. Green chillies - finely chopped - 2 (If you have old green chillies that have turned red , don't throw it away ,use it for this. It adds a better look to the dish)
4. Musturd seed - 2 tsp
5. Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
6. Chilly powder(optional, if you want it very hot add it) - 1/2 tsp
7. Salt - as your taste
8. Oil - 2 tbsp


Guess you have got all the ingredients with you! The preparation steps are:


Method:

1. Wash the long beans and remove the ends.
2. Cut the long beans into 1" length pieces
3. Finely chop the big onion(half of a medium is fine) and chillies.
4. Heat oil in a pan.
5. Add musturd seeds and allow it to pop.
6. Add the onions and saute till they are semi transparent(will take 5-10 mins).
7. Add the green chillies
8. Add the long beans pieces and saute for 5 min
9. Add salt.
10. Sprinkle a little water and cook covered till they are half done.
11. Add turmeric, chilly powder and cook covered till they are fully cooked. You may need to sprinkle some more water to cook it well. Give a stir in between.
12. Its done, switch off the stove!

Here it is..

I don't mind if the long beans are only half cooked.I like it!


TIP: If you feel that your long beans take more time to get cooked fully, next time put it in the microwave for 2,3 minutes before cooking. Don't forget to sprinkle some water on the beans.

Leave your comments/suggestions. Share the recipe if you find out something new with long beans!

No comments:

Post a Comment